Sheet cakes are the perfect dessert to bring to a gathering with a lot of people. This Almond Butter Sheet Cake is such a fun twist on the traditional chocolate sheet cake.
A friend brought this to a party and at first I thought it looked a little boring. However, once I tried it I was hooked on the buttery, smooth, slightly almond flavor cake and frosting. It’s the perfect dessert for those looking for a sweet treat and an easy cake to throw together.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- FRUIT TOPPING:
- 7 oz. fresh blueberries optional
- 1 lb. strawberries sliced (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix until combined.
- In a medium sized sauce pan place 1 cup butter and 1 cup of water. Bring the ingredients to a boil over medium high heat.
- Pour the hot liquid over the top of the dry ingredients and mix well. about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 tsp almond extract. Mix again until all combined.
- Spray a cookie sheet pan with cooking spray and pour the batter in. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool for a few minutes. You can frost the cake when it's still warm and it will keep it extra moist.
- For the frosting, add the 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup milk into a small sauce pan. Bring it to a boil over medium high heat. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the stove top and add 1 teaspoon almond extract. Stir until smooth. Pour the butter/milk mixture into a mixing bowl and whip together the powdered sugar until smooth. Frosting should be somewhat soft. Spread the frosting over the warm cake until smooth. Top with fresh fruit (optional).