I am a huge fan of banana bread. However, if you’re trying to count calories, sometimes this sweet bread can be a deal breaker. I took our original banana bread recipe and made some healthier tweaks and loved the results! Instead of cups of sugar, these loaves only have a quarter of a cup of honey per loaf. That’s much fewer calories and with the sweet, ripe bananas, you don’t miss the sweetness at all. Yes, I added dark chocolate chips, but you definitely don’t have too. However, combine the two and you have a healthier treat you’re family is bound to love! Hope you enjoy.
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas
- 2 Tbs. sour cream
- 2 Tbs. vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, and with a hand mixer, mix together the coconut oil, honey, eggs, bananas and sour cream until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix just until combined. Spray two bread loaf pan heavily with cooking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper the size of the bread pan into the bottom and sides of the pan (so the bread will remove more easily after baking). If you don't have parchment paper, just lightly flour the pan.
- Pour the batter into the bread loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes, or until the center of the banana bread is cooked through and no longer doughy. Slice bread once it's been removed from the pan and cooled.