This recipe, although this picture looks a little frightening, is probably my all-time favorite pasta dish. I love creamy pasta dishes, but have a hard time rationalizing the fat content for a weeknight meal.
This recipe is low fat, uses the tomatoes from your garden, and when served with a whole grain pasta, makes a quick and healthy meal. This dish literally comes together in only a few minutes and once the pasta is boiled, dinner is served. The sweetness from the balsamic and sugar adds such a different and fun flavor that is normally not found on pasta. This recipe is hard to photograph and make look appetizing..but trust me, it is absolutely delightful!
- 1 lb. penne noodles
- 3-4 to matoes diced (or 10 oz. grape tomatoes, halved)
- 1-1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 T. butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 t. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Cook noodles until al dente and then rinse and set aside. Sauté chicken pieces and onions in the butter in a large skillet until golden brown and mostly cooked through--about 5-7 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar and Italian seasoning to chicken and onions and simmer until sauce begins to thicken. Add the mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes to sauce and chicken. Continue to simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Pour cooked and drained pasta into the sauce and serve with extra cheese on top. Garnish with fresh basil (optional).