There are very few holiday desserts that scream Christmas to me, than this one does. I love chocolate, I love brownies, I love mint, and I especially LOVE them together!! I don’t remember where I found this recipe, but it is the perfect holiday treat and will WOW all of your guests. If you are not a fan of peppermint, then just keep this recipe on hand as the BEST ever brownie recipe. If you don’t need an entire cookie sheet of brownies, you can easily half this recipe and put it in a 9×13 pan. These brownies are moist, super chocolaty, and smooth as silk. With nearly a dozen eggs and a pound of butter, what do you expect? YUM!! Happy holiday baking 🙂
- 4 sticks margarine or butter softened
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- 4 c. white sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 t. salt
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. nuts optional, chopped
- 1 T. vanilla
- PEPPERMINT FROSTING
- 1 cube butter softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar 3-4 c.
- 3-4 T. milk or heavy whipping cream
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- 1 t. vanilla
- Dash of salt
- Red food coloring to make pink frosting
- 3-4 mint candy canes crushed and set aside for topping of brownies
- GANACHE GLAZE
- 1 12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips
- 3-4 T. heavy whipping cream or canned evaporated milk
- Brownies: Soften margarine or butter and place in a large bowl or mixer. Add the cocoa, butter and eggs and beat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix together until incorporated. Pour into a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 29-32 minutes, or until brownies are cooked through. Don't over bake, you will want your brownies a little under done. Let brownies cool and then frost with the peppermint frosting.
- Peppermint Frosting: Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add enough milk to make the frosting a smooth and soft texture. Add the extract, vanilla and dash of salt. Add the food coloring and beat until frosting is ready to spread over brownies.
- Ganache Glaze: Put chocolate chips and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 40-60 seconds, or until chips are melted smooth. Stir together until smooth and the consistency of hot fudge. Pour ganache over the mint frosting on top of the brownies. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the ganache and let cool. Cut into squares once topping is cooled.