It’s just about summer and around here that means the next few months will be filled with family vacations, church camps, a youth pioneer trek, young men adventure camps, girls camps and much more. That is something I love about our church. My teens don’t have a choice to sit home and be bored during the summer. Yes, they’ll have their fair share of sleep-in, do nothing days, but they’ll also ahve some fun adventures with some amazing youth.
If you are in charge of food for one of these youth events, or just need an amazing recipe to take camping, I wanted to share our friend’s famous recipe with you. Meet Doug. He is a crack-up! You can not be with him without laughing hysterically within minutes. Not only does he have a great sense of humor, he makes the BEST fajitas on the planet. Doug has been known to drive hours to a youth activity for our church to make these amazing fajitas. Here he is a couple summers ago cooking up enough fajitas to feed over 300 people! Now that is an act of love.
Whether you are feeding 300 or just 3, you are going to love this recipe. They really are quite simple, but with a few special tips, they go from being average to amazing!
There is a secret ingredient though. You need to have a bottle of McCormick’s Mojito Lime Seasoning. You can buy this stuff in little dorky packets from Walmart, or you can get this size online from Amazon. I promise you…you will want the BIG container. This seasoning is good on SO many things: Fajitas, taco meat, shredded beef, chicken, fish and so much more. It has this awesome spice with a sweet and sour lime undertone. It’s delish!
- 3 chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. taco seasoning
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 T. lime juice
- Montreal steak seasoning to taste
- Taco toppings: lettuce sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, guacamole
- Trim off excess fat from raw chicken breasts. Cut them into thin strips. In a saute pan, bring some olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown on one side. Season with garlic, cumin, and taco seasoning. Turn the chicken pieces to the other side and cook until browned on that side too. Set aside the chicken in a seperate bowl. To the same pan, add a little more olive oil. Add sliced vegetables and sauté until they become tender. Add the chicken back to the pan with the vegetables. Add salsa to the pan and let cook until chicken is completely cooked. Serve chicken & vegetable mixture on tortillas with lettuce, salsa, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.