On a different note, today was one of those crazy days when you really don’t have more than a few minutes to put together a dinner for your family. To keep me from making a run to Little Caesar’s pizza, I bought a package of fresh chicken at Walmart and came home to prep dinner. This meal was so awesome because not only was the ENTIRE meal under $10 for 7 people, but it was also low in calories and made from all fresh, healthy ingredients. I started prepping this meal at 4:20 and dinner was on the table by 5. Saaaweet! This dish was a dinner-saver and we all couldn’t have been happier. Happy AND healthy…now that’s a combo worth striving for 🙂 Want more homemade, healthy meal ideas? Visit our website for additional meal plans, recipes and the weekly deals from your area.
- 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbls. cajun seasoning to your liking
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbls. brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Trim chicken from the excess fat. Place chicken into a large bowl or Ziploc gallon sized bag. Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Toss to coat all sides of the chicken in the marinade. Marinade for up to 6-8 hours. Grill the chicken on a hot grill until the chicken is cooked through and is no longer pink in the center (about 10-15 minutes per side--depending how thick the chicken is). While the chicken is cooking, if you have extra marinade left in the bowl, you can baste the chicken with the extra sauce if you wish to give the chicken more flavor.
- 5 lbs. red potatoes
- 1 lb. carrots
- 2-3 Tbls. olive oil
- Montreal seasoning
- 1 onion soup mix packet
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rinse the potatoes and cut into fourths. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cut potatoes onto the pan and add the baby carrots. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the Montreal Steak Seasoning and the dry onion soup mix. Toss the potatoes and carrots in the olive oil until all sides are coated. Bake the potatoes for 30-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Half way through the cooking process you can toss the potatoes so they don't burn on the bottom. Serve hot once cooked through.