The other day my sisters & Mom got together to enjoy this Wonton Berry Spinach Salad for our Mother’s Day lunch. All of the ingredients are on sale this week so I had my fridge full of fresh produce and yummy berries. I decided to come up with a dressing that could be fat free to help keep the calories down, but still have a lot of flavor. If you use fat free mayonnaise this dressing and salad is very low in fat (minus the fried wontons that can be optional). I love the crunch of the wontons, the sweetness of the berries and candied nuts, and the salty-tanginess of the gorgonzola cheese–a fabulous combo any time of year 😉
- 1 bag baby spinach about 14-16 oz.
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2-1 cup gorgonzola cheese
- Fried wonton wrappers in oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 strawberries stems removed
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbs. strawberry jam
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- For the salad: In a saute pan, place a 1/4 inch amount of oil in the bottom of the pan. Heat to medium heat. Cut several wonton wrappers into thin strips and place the strips into the hot oil. Brown on both sides until crisp and then let rest on a paper towel to cool. If you are serving chicken on your salad, grill 2-3 chicken breasts until cooked through and season with salt and pepper. Once the chicken is cooked, cut the chicken into cubes and set aside. Prepare the dressing and then put together the salad. In a large salad bowl, place the spinach leaves, the berries, cheese and the chicken. Top with the fried wonton wrappers and drizzle each plate of salad with the berry dressing. Serve immediately.
- For the dressing: Blend all of the dressing ingredients together until smooth. Serve over salad.
HEALTHIER OPTION: Omit the wonton strips to cut back on calories.