Looking for the copycat recipe for Cafe Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup? Look no further. This soup is super easy to throw together, especially if you use freeze dried chicken or rotisserie chicken. The flavors are subtly but delicious and you’ll love the warm soup with your favorite garnishments.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot diced very thin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 3 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 cups white corn tortilla chips cut into strips
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Salt to taste
- 2 limes garnish
- Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for medium heat. Grill chicken breasts for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the grill, and cut into chunks. If you don't want to use grilled chicken you can use rotisserie chicken that has been shredded, chicken from a crock pot that has been shredded or chicken that is sauted and diced.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken, water, bouillon and carrot. Season with allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Pour in the salsa, coconut milk and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve in bowls, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze juice onto soup from lime wedges.