Eggplant Parmesan is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes of all time. It is such a meal that is surprisingly so tasty, rich and delicious. Even my kids who probably wouldn’t eat eggplant on a normal day, love this recipe! The slightly crispy and tender eggplant is perfect with a flavorful marinara and plenty of melted cheese. This recipe is great because the eggplant is not deep fat fried. It is baked in a little olive oil to keep this recipe healthy and yummy! If you want a more golden brown and crispy eggplant you can always saute them first in more olive oil to get them nice and crispy. With the sauce and cheese on top, I don’t feel it’s necessary and I’d rather save the calories. It’s just up to your dietary preference. Either way, it’s amazing!
- 2 eggplants sliced very thinly (1/4" thick)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley
- Slice the eggplant very thinly, about 1/4 inch thick. Spread eggplant slices onto a large cookie sheet, not overlapping. Salt eggplant and let sit until moisture comes out of the eggplant. Rinse the eggplant with water and dry with a paper towel to remove the bitter moisture and the salt. Place the flour into a shallow dish. Place the eggs into a shallow dish and whisk with a fork until combined. Dip the dried eggplant slices into the flour. Dredge the floured eggplant into a bowl with the beaten eggs. Combine the parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs together and place in another shallow dish. Dip the floured/egg covered slices of eggplant into the breadcrumbs. Drizzle the olive oil onto the bottom of a large cookie sheet and spread the breaded eggplant slices out flat. Bake at 400 degrees until the eggplant is tender and golden brown. When they are tender, put the slices in a 9x13 pan (overlapping slightly) in three rows (side, middle, side). Pour marinara sauce down the center of each row of eggplant slices. Sprinkle with a generous portion of mozzarella cheese. Bake at 425 uncovered until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley.