How is your week going? Hope you’re having a great one! This week for our clan has been one of those busy, taxi-mom kind of weeks. Lots of places to go, kids to take around, doctor appointments, yada, yada, yada. Someday I know I’ll miss the hustle and bustle of family life, so I try to take a deep breath and enjoy the chaos. Part of what tonight’s craziness was from, was the fact I had to go downtown to teach a class on Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning. I LOVE teaching classes and wish my schedule allowed for me to do it more often. I love meeting new people and seeing them get excited about saving money and cooking. I have to admit I get a little spastic when I teach. My passion for these things just oozes out of my body and I can’t help it. I always try to stress how doable saving money can be AND eating healthy meals. So many people think they don’t have time to cook, or that they don’t have time to pay attention to grocery sales. That is why our company exists! We are here to help make shopping and meal planning easier for you. If you use our website, these aspects of your day should be SO much easier!
In fact, tonight I made a meal that was extremely simple and a new family favorite. All of the items were on sale this week, which made this meal under $10 to feed my family of 7. We all LOVED this chicken! Let me tell you, it was AMAZING!! The marinated chicken is moist and flavorful and the sticky orange glaze you brush on the chicken after it’s done is bright, slightly sweet and full of fresh orange flavor. YUM! Serve this chicken and sauce over rice with a vegetable of your choice. Tomorrow I’ll share this simple recipe for veggie kabobs. Thirty minutes prep time, twenty minutes to grill and voila…dinner is served. If you need a quick and fun new recipe for your meal planner this week, this ones a keeper! Enjoy 🙂
- 3-5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Zest of 3 oranges
- Juice of 3 oranges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 10-12 bamboo skewer kabob sticks
- Whisk together the above ingredients in a bowl until smooth. Remove 1/2 cup of the marinade and pour into a seperate container or bowl (or Ziploc bag). Add 1/3 cup of soy sauce to this mixture and then add your pieces of chicken. Let this mixture marinate until you are ready to eat. Set aside the remaining sauce until ready to cook the chicken (keep separate from the chicken). When you are ready to grill the chicken, skewer the chicken tender pieces onto bamboo sticks that have been soaked in water for 10 minutes. Once the chicken is skewered, grill them on a hot grill for 18-20 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown and cooked so the center of the chicken is no longer pink.
- While the chicken is cooking, pour the unused sauce into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add an additional 1/4 cup of honey to the mixture. Let the sauce boil until the moisture begins to evaporate and become more thick. If you like a really thick sauce, you can always add a teaspoon of cornstarch to thicken. Once the sauce is a nice and smooth, and fairly thick, set aside to brush over the cooked chicken.
- Once the skewers of chicken are cooked, brush the tops of them with the extra sauce. If you like your chicken with rice, serve the chicken with extra sauce to go on top of the rice as well. Serves 6-8 people. If you like lots of sauce, you may want to double this sauce recipe 😉