These Garlic Lemon Steak Pitas have been a family favorite for a few decades in my family. My Mom used to make these pitas every Easter and were a family tradition. The steak is so flavorful, lemony, delicious and savorty. The seasoned steak is layered in the pitas with fresh cabbage, tomatoes and topped with a creamy onion sauce. The combination is so delicious and has such unique flavors you will all love. Check out the Deals section of our website for the best deals on steak and produce. Enjoy this recipe!
- STEAK MARINADE:
- 2 lbs. boneless beef steaks
- 1 Tbs. lemon pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic pepper
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or fresh garlic
- 1 pkg. pita bread flats or pockets
- 1/2 green cabbage slicedber
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 5.3 oz. plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber diced and seeds removed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the steak marinade ingredients. Ad a fourth of the marinade to the steak in a shallow bowl or container. Set the rest of the marinade aside before serving. Heat a hot grill to high heat. When the grill is hot, place the steaks onto the grill and get a nice sear on the bottom side of the steak. Turn the steak to the other side and cook for only a few more minutes until you have your desired 'doneness' level (rare, medium, etc.). I like my steak to be cooked on the outside but a little pink in the center.
- For the sauce, prepare all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve pitas.
- For the veggies, slice them into thin pieces.
- Once the steak is done, remove from the grill and let rest on a plate for 3-5 minutes. Right before serving, slice the steak into thin strips and place on a plate. Drizzle with the marinade and then serve the steak in the pitas with the cucumber sauce and fresh vegetables.