It is that frugality that makes this meatloaf so wonderful. She would make this every summer when vegetables from the garden were ripe. The chopped carrots, zucchini and peppers is what makes this meatloaf so moist and full of flavor. If your kids don’t like vegetables, I promise they will in this recipe! They won’t even know they are in there. One of the best aspects of her meatloaf is the sauce on top. It is a sweet and tangy barbeque-type sauce that makes every bite so amazing–so much better than plain ketchup or regular bbq sauce.
If you have carrots, zucchini, onions or peppers in your garden, this is the perfect dish for you to make! The best part is, this meatloaf recipe makes two loaf pans of meatloaf. You can either freeze one for another meal or use the second pan for meatloaf sandwiches (our family’s favorite!).
- 2 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots diced or shredded
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp. salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. parsley & thyme
- 1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
- MEATLOAF SAUCE:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbs. mustard
- 5 Tbs. brown sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef (or ground turkey), diced onion, chopped carrots, minced garlic garlic, eggs, seasonings and breadcrumbs together. Mix until mixture is smooth.
- Place meat mixture into 2 bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 40-60 minutes, or until center of meatloaf is cooked thoroughly. To ensure a moist meatloaf, cover with tinfoil.
- While the meatloaf is baking, make the glaze. For the glaze, mix the ingredients together until smooth.
- Once meatloaf is cooked through, remove carefully from the oven and drain excess juices and grease from bread pan (you can do this by tilting the loaf pan at an angle and removing the grease).
- While the meatloaf is out of the oven and the tinfoil is removed, pour the glaze over the top of the meatloaf and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until warmed and bubbling on top. Remove from oven and serve hot.