Summer is the time for quick, easy meals around our home like these delicious Monte Cristo Sandwiches. If you’ve ever been to Disneyland and eaten in the Blue Bayou you have probably tried their famous Monte Cristo Sandwiches. These sandwiches make the perfect, kid friendly meal everyone will love. I don’t know about you, but if it’s hot outside, the last thing I want is the oven on. I am all about simple, summer meals or salads.
One of our favorite easy meals are Monte Cristo Sandwiches. They are cheesy, melty and a sandwich everyone in our family LOVES! They are a mix between french toast and a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. This toasted sandwich is then dipped in blackberry jam–strange, I know…but SO great!!
If you need a simple summer meal, this one is fabulous!! Serve with a simple side salad for a delicious and well rounded meal.
- 10 slices of white bread
- 10 slices of turkey meat
- 10 slices of ham
- 10 slices of provolone cheese
- 10 slices of white cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard
- Berry jam
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 2 Tbs. pancake mix
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt, pancake mix and vanilla extract until smooth.
- For the sandwiches, place a slice of both cheese on each side of the bread. Add the turkey & ham slices in the center of the sandwich. If you like Dijon mustard you can spread a thin layer of that on one side of the bread. Close the sandwiches.
- Heat a flat griddle to medium heat. Add a little butter to the griddle and when it's hot, dip one sandwich at a time on both sides (like french toast) into the egg mixture and place the sandwich onto the griddle. Cook until lightly golden brown on both sides and until the cheese is melted. Remove sandwich from the grill and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with your favorite berry jam.